"An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." - Arthur Miller

Thursday, February 17, 2005

NHL season goes boom

Well, its official, the NHL have called it a season before the season got a chance to begin. Its a shame for hockey fans, no biggie to others but its still pretty historic. Most of these strikes are a lot of talk and threats but usually a side caves, typically the owners. In this case they stayed the course and I applaud them for it.

Normally I am all for worker rights, I know I would love to get that raise that has been dangled my way for literally years now. However, frankly its hard to be sympathetic when its a bunch of athlets poed because they may have to settle for 10 million a year contract instead of 15 million. I just can't care, especially when a raise to me is couple hundred if that. Hell id take a shopping certificate at this point. I am sure many others feel the same way.

The owners have a right to make money as much as the players do yet the players don't seem to care. In every other business, its the workers that make the moolah for the company, yet we don't get the leverage to go "give us 75% of your profits" nor should we. But some how athetes are "special." The rules just don't apply which is bullshit.

Frankly its also insulting. Its like the big wig CEOs who bury a company just to get their 10 million dollar bonus and then boo hoo about how unfair it is they got fired. I am sorry but when your salary is in the millions per year, I have zero sympathy. The players talk on and on about rights, labor, blah blah blah. but really I would give them props if they just stood up and flat out admitted "i greedy, I want my piece of the pie!" I can respect that because I understand that. I want a piece to. Bigger the better, just the like the CEO getting his bonus over the carcasses of his employees. I can't blame them for wanting a piece, but don't cry to the fans and buyers when it doesn't work out.

Anyway, congrats to the owners. I hope they get everything they want and if a few players go bankrupt then HAHA cause thats what they get for not planning and spending way beyond their means.

No comments:

Post a Comment