"An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." - Arthur Miller

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

More Runaway Bride thoughts

Just got my first blog think from Jeff Jarvis at his blog Buzzmachine. Do believe thats the first time I have ever been linked. Also makes me wish had better writing skills but maybe with practice. One thing I appreciate, he gives this runaway bride story the attention it deserves - a quickie paragragh and then moves on to real information of note and interest. I however, just don't have that kind of self control.

Try to check out the Daily Show from 5/2/05. It should be repeating again on Tuesday. About 12 minutes in Jon Stewart gives his opinion about the media's behavior to this story in way only he can...by using their own footage to hang em with. Basically he agrees with me, that clearly the media was hoping for some visious murder. Favorite line "When Hannity is the voice of reason we are all on the bus to CaCa land" Uh may have to watch ep again to get that exactly right. The media reaction to me is the real story, not the bride herself but I think I am a minority in that opinion.

As for local reaction, based on people talking and the radio, its probably what everyone else thinks. What I find amusing is that many feel some need to say something along the lines "thank god she's okay, but..." The opinions range from her needing serious medical attention to being a devious bitch. Some defend the fact that she did many things wrong but none that are illegal since she technically has the right to runaway. However, pretty much everyone agrees that she was selfish and seriously violated some moral lines. Also, that the husband should jettison her ass ASAP. I have a feeling he will but with the press attention on the family its best to just wait rather then do a public drop kicking. If so, I tip my hat to him. I doubt I would have that level of self control.

I, like most here, do believe some form of punishment needs to be dealt with. Most say just pay for the cost, I think forgetting that doesn't really punish the individual in this case since the family as a whole could cover any costs (estimated to be 40k to 80k here). One person suggested she pay in community service equal to the time all volunteers total went looking for her. I thought that was an excellent idea. Its not only an unselfish act (even if forced on her) but its truly a long term lesson that she has to cuss about every hour she works it. Also an excellent example to others who attempt such callous behavior and thens attempts to use lies to dodge responsibilty. If simply pay back the cost, her family writes a check and calls it a day, no lesson learned, consequences dodged.

A telling quote from Gwinnett county DA Danny Porter "Sometimes, I'm not sure she has the capability for remorse." Personally that sounds like political exaggeration but interesting nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment