"An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." - Arthur Miller

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Nation of Hate and Fear

You know reading the posts of Republican's and others it seems that most of their views come down to what they like or what they think may or may not happen. Yet they act like the support the ideals of America.

For example flag burning. That is an expression of free speech. I don't like it. I despise it. But I love America more. The America I love accepts it. Just like the America I love accepts bashing of presidents, of critizing them. The America I love recognizes that sometimes the expressions of the rights we take for granted may not be pleasant or agreeable.

A worldview fpr many many many Republican's if they don't like it, it must go, the ideals of America be damned. Rights be damned. To me you can't claim National Pride then support decisions that go against the very grain of the nation. The Patriot Act is one such example. Its suspends rights. America was founded on the ideal that rights trumped EVERYTHING, including safety and life. EVERYTHING. The America I use to know would find such a law that did otherwise unacceptable. That America no longer exists. The America I know believes everyone has a right to express themselves. That is no longer the case. It seems the expression extends to followers of Jesus now, all others need no apply. I also thought America could learn from its own and others past mistakes, but that was wishful thinking.

America is now a country where fear and safety are king, where rights can be ignored or suspended. A country of religious intolerance. A country of hate. I have hope that the country will past this test of nationhood as it seems all countries must. This is our time of hate and fear and when its over we will be much stronger for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment