"An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." - Arthur Miller

Monday, September 25, 2006

New TV Season Reviews

Lots of new stuff debuted in the last week in TV for both new and old with many more coming in the next few weeks. Below is my quickie reviews for the shows I bothered to watch.

Monday 9/18
The Class - Undecided. Its a weird premise, a reunion of a class of 3rd graders, but if that doesn't stay the focus, the characters might be enough to keep watching. No standouts yet, but I will give it a few weeks to grab me.

How I Met Your Mother - Starting season 2, still good, still funny, remaining on my to watch list. If not on yours, you should add it.

CSI: Miami - You know the show, nothings really changed except finally, thank freaking god, they have ended the whole Horatio and his family of horror crap. Will they finally move on to more interesting things?

Prison Break - Still going strong after a few weeks and will miss it with baseball playoffs coming. I didn't think the premise would hold for a second season but so far its going strong. I hope they have an end game in mind because if they plan on just having this go and go for 5 or 6 years then its toast. I would rather it go out in three solid seasons then 7 stretched out crappy ones.

Vanished - I am trying to like it, but the characters hold no interest for me. You really don't care about anyone's back story, the mystery, and even if the potentially kidnapped victim is dead or alive. There is simply nothing to hook you. Consider this one cancelled soon.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - I have my West Wing fix back. I can tell I am thoroughly going to enjoy this show. Whether or not its sticks around though is another matter. It does require a little brain power on the part of the audience and sadly that is always a gamble nowadays.

Tuesday 9/19
Boston Legal - Same o from previous seasons. If liked it then, will like it now. Personally I watch for William Shatner and his scenery chewing.

NCIS - Going strong and very entertaining. Recommend watching.

The Unit - Same as last season, same whatever attention from me. I can tell its a good show but for whatever reason I just can't fall in love with it.

Smith - Watched it for Amy Smart, will give it a few more eps for Amy Smart, but sadly it suffers from not having any characters to grab your interested or care for. They could kill one off each week and I could care less (unless its Amy Smart).

House - Still going strong, sure predictable but thoroughly entertaining.

Standoff - The character interactions don't mean anything, but the hostage scenarios are neat to watch. I can also tell it will get boring by seasons end (assuming it makes it which I doubt).

Law and Order: Criminal Intent - Still the brain busting puzzles only genius boy can solve. Still entertaining.

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit - The shining star of the series. Worth watching if not already doing so.

Wednesday 9/20
Jericho - End of the world? Maybe. What happens next is the story and I am currently hooked. The survival of this show will depend on how much they hold their cards to their chest and how carefully they play them out. Hold em to long and interest will fizzle fast. Until then I am watching.

Criminal Minds - Still good, still worth watching.

CSI: NY - Same o same o which in this case not such a good thing since I just can't get as interested in this CSI as the others. I think because the actors are so damn bland.

Bones - Same o same o but in a good, entertaining way.

Justice - Lawyers get the people off using any means necessary. Later shows what really happened and sadly so far every time the lawyers have been nearly dead on. Justice prevails! Which makes for a predictable and good guys win story. This show is toast and doesn't know it yet.

Kidnapped - Boy is kidnapped, the FBI and a hunter is looking for him. Egos clash, politics arise, etc. Great cast, good development of the characters already, its my new 10:00 appointment.

Thursday 9/21
Grey's Anatomy - Its the same as previous seasons, up to recycling the same stories and just tweaking them. I will give it a few more eps but at this point I am tied of the circles.

Six Degrees - Jury still out on this one. Not sure what to make of it, what the point of the series is or much else. The characters are hot and well that's about it. I love Erika Christenson but her hotness isn't enough to make the show worth watching week after week.

Survivor: Cook Islands - The race gimmick should draw to a close in another week and then its once again the same clash of egos, brainstorming and betrayals. Another words the same show from previous seasons that either love or hate.

ER - Season 1000, same as previous 990. Whatever.

Friday 9/22
Numbers - Same as last year, only guys have shorter hair. I liked last year, so liking this year.

Law and Order - New night, new female (hot) detective. Same show, same formula. Still solid writing.

Sunday 9/24
Amazing Race - Glorious same o same o. Jealousy abounds as would love to do that show.

Cold Case - Same again, getting bored with it even though the writing etc continues to be solid.

Without a Trace - Same to, really getting bored with this show. I think I am done with it. The characters just no longer interest me.

Desperate Housewives - Put a fork in its done. Once again, the many circles abound as this clearly soap opera show continues to swipe poorly from its daytime counterparts.

Brothers and Sisters - Lots of fanfare about nothing. The characters bore, the premise bores, once again could care less about a single character. This show will last a while only on the will of the ABC execs but I have a feeling the audience will drop off fast.

Simpson - Same o. Which is great by me
American Dad - Ditto
Family Guy - Ditto
War at Home - Ditto in a brainless way.

So there you go. What I liked and didn't. The new season shows are mostly looking like crap except for Studio 60 and Kidnapped. Most of the shows that are in their 3rd plus seasons are showing age and need a new spit shine to survive. Also I watch entirely to much television and some triage needs to be performed.

No comments:

Post a Comment