"An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted." - Arthur Miller

Monday, May 01, 2006

Nintendo Revolution Now Named Wii


Nintendo announced today the official name of its next gen console. Its now called the Wii, pronouced like "we" or "whee". The name Revolution was also a code name for the project but most, including me, assumed that would become its final name as thats been the tendancy in the past. Plus its good name. The online sites have been having a field day with the name change announcement. Nintendo stance is the name reflects the fun and to emphasis "that the console is for everyone."

My initial reaction was the sneer. After much thought, my reaction is to ask "why?". My final reaction is to simply shake my head in confusion and be saddened by this PR blunder that Nintendo isn't even aware of yet. Can you imagine going into a store and asking "Got any Wii games in?" I just feel stupid thinking about it.

E3 starts May ninth I think. That will tell us if "Wii" will be worth buying, crappy name or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment